MuleSoft Certified Platform Architect - Level 1
A MuleSoft Certified Platform Architect should be able to define and be responsible for an organization’s Anypoint Platform strategy. The MCPA – Level 1 exam validates that an architect has the required knowledge and skills to direct the emergence of an effective application network out of individual integration solutions following API-led connectivity across an organization using Anypoint Platform. S/he should be able to:
- Optimize and shape the Anypoint Platform deployment in the specific organizational context, working with business, infrastructure, InfoSec, and other teams.
- Define how Anypoint Platform is used in conjunction with other tools and applications in the organization.
- Define the usage of Anypoint Platform and the corresponding organizational and process changes needed to help the Platform be sustainable.
- Provide guidance and drive creation of standards, reusable assets, and automation required for scale and multi-LOB adoption.
A downloadable data sheet for the exam can be found here.
- Format: Multiple-choice, closed book, proctored online or in a testing center
- Length: 58 questions
- Duration: 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Pass score: 70%
- Language: English
The exam can be taken a maximum of 5 times, with a 24 hour wait between each attempt.
The exam can be purchased with one of the following. Each includes a coupon for one free retake.
- 1.5 Flexible Training Credits (FTC)
- A voucher obtained by attending the instructor-led Anypoint Platform Architecture: Application Networks course
Additional retakes (attempts 3 to 5) are $250 or 1 FTC and do not come with a free retake.
The certification expires two years from the date of passing.
The best preparation for the exam is to take the instructor-led Anypoint Platform Architecture: Application Networks course. Candidates should be familiar with all of the content in the course and be able to apply the concepts.
The following resources are available to assist in a candidate’s preparation:
- Instructor-led training: Anypoint Platform Architecture: Application Networks
- Recommended as the most effective and efficient method of preparation
- 3-day class
- Private and public classes available
- Onsite and online classes available
- Includes a certification voucher for this exam
- Practice quiz
- 10 multiple-choice questions
- Comparable difficulty to the proctored exam
The exam validates that the candidate can perform the following tasks.
Note: ARC:NET is the acronym for the Anypoint Platform Architecture: Application Networks course.Expand all
- Explain MuleSoft’s proposal for closing the IT delivery gap
- Describe the role and characteristics of the "modern API"
- Define and describe the benefits of API-led connectivity and application networks
- Define outcome-based delivery (OBD)
- Correctly use the terms API, API implementation, API client, API consumer, and API invocation
- Describe the capabilities and high-level components of Anypoint Platform
- ARC:NET Module 1
- ARC:NET Module 2
- Describe the purpose and roles of a C4E
- Identify KPIs to measure the success of a C4E
- Given specific organizational requirements, preferences, and constraints, identify all suitable Anypoint Platform deployment options
- Select Anypoint Platform identity management vs client management for the correct purpose
- ARC:NET Module 2
- ARC:NET Module 3
- Break down functional requirements into business-aligned APIs with effective granularity
- Given a set of APIs and specific preferences and organizational characteristics, recommend the use of an Enterprise Data Model or Bounded Context Data Models
- Identify changes to an API that would require or not require a major version increment
- When asynchronous execution of API invocations is needed, select when to appropriately use polling or callbacks
- Identify idempotent HTTP methods and HTTP-native support for optimistic concurrency
- Describe the creation and publication of reusable API-related assets using RAML and Anypoint Platform components
- Identify appropriate APIs to implement a business process and assign them to layers of API-led connectivity
- Assign APIs to layers according to ownership, functional focus, and rate of change
- Given specific requirements and organizational characteristics, recommend the most appropriate approach relating the API data model of System APIs to that of their backend system
- ARC:NET Module 2
- ARC:NET Module 4
- ARC:NET Module 6
- Given specific preferences and constraints, select API policy enforcement with or without API proxies
- Select appropriate API policies to enforce non-functional constraints on API invocations
- Given an API policy with specific characteristics, identify any change required in the corresponding RAML definition
- Given a layer of API-led connectivity, identify API policies that are typically applied to that layer and the scenarios needing custom policies
- Identify which types of APIs and other remote interfaces are or are not amenable to management by API Manager
- ARC:NET Module 5
- Describe when and how to pass client ID and secret to an API Describe when and how to pass client ID and secret to an API Describe when and how to pass client ID and secret to an API
- Explain how to register an API client for access to an API version
- ARC:NET Module 5
- Describe the automation capabilities of Anypoint Platform for DevOps, CI/CD, and testing
- Compare unit and integration tests and specify where MUnit is best employed
- Explain how to use autodiscovery to link an API implementation to an API instance managed with API Manager
- Specify how and when to promote APIs with API Manager
- Identify when redeployment of API implementations is necessary
- ARC:NET Module 7
- ARC:NET Module 9
- Gatekeeper Enhanced Security Reference
- Describe the fundamentals of deployments, networking, and routing on CloudHub
- Select CloudHub worker sizes and configuration as appropriate
- Describe the scenarios for which Object Store should be used with CloudHub
- ARC:NET Module 7
- Identify the factors involved in scaling API performance
- Identify the differences between the CloudHub Shared and Dedicated Load Balancers
- Identify single points of failure in typical CloudHub usage
- Select strategies that help API clients guard against failures in API invocations
- Identify the components of Anypoint Platform that generate data for monitoring and alerting
- Describe the metrics collected by Anypoint Platform on the level of API invocations
- Describe and select between the options for performing API analytics within and outside of Anypoint Platform
- Specify alerts to define for key metrics of API invocations for all layers of API-led connectivity
- Specify alerts to define for API implementations
- ARC:NET Module 10
The exam is administered via the Kryterion Webassessor testing platform. The exam can be taken in-person at a testing center or online using a web camera.
In-person at a Kryterion Testing Center:
Online using the Kryterion Webassessor testing platform:
- Requires a webcam - a laptop webcam can be used, an external camera is not required
- Requires internet connectivity with 1 Mbps upload, 1 Mbps download, jitter <50ms, ping <200ms
- Check your internet speed and reliability
- Note: Some candidates are expelled from the exam for an unstable connection even after checking reliability with the tool. If you think your connection could potentially be unreliable, we strongly recommend scheduling your exam at a test center.
- Online instructions
- Test-taker guide
To register for the exam:
- Go to Webassessor.
- Log in. If you do not have an existing profile, please create one. Do not create multiple accounts.
- Click Exam Catalog.
- Select the MuleSoft Certified Platform Architect – Level 1 exam. Click the "+" to expand your test modality options.
- Select either the Online Proctoring Option or the Kryterion Test Center option.
- On the payment screen, select to pay by credit card or enter a voucher/coupon code.
Note: A fee applies if an exam is cancelled or rescheduled within 72 hours of its scheduled time, even if the exam was purchased with a voucher.
For more information, visit the Certification Help Center.